Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Question to Ponder

I ASKED THIS QUESTION BASED ON A DISCUSSION I LISTENED TO ON THE DENNIS PRAGER SHOW (WWW.PRAGERRADIO.COM) LAST WEEK. YOU ALL RESPONDED WITH SOME VERY THOUGHTFUL ANSWERS. I AM SURPRISED YOU HAD PATIENCE TO THINK ABOUT IT THAT MUCH. WAY TO GO, BLOGGERS!


I know there aren't THAT many people that read this blog, but for those who do....

Comment on your answers to the following question- I can't wait to hear from you:

Do you think that the level of happiness in one's life is directly proportional to the amount of things about which one is passionate?

PS- I know, that, biblically, happiness is not to be our ultimate goal in life. So, please answer with the knowledge that I am not trying to get you to discuss how our ultimate life goal is happiness- I personally don't believe that to be the case.

Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say- good night!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Hmmm...very thought provoking question. I would say that the level of someone's happiness is more in proportion with their being passionate about the RIGHT things. I mean, I could be passionate about a lot of things - but not all will bring me happiness. My relationship with God, my husband, my child - these bring me happiness. Selling Avon & posting to my blog are also things that I am both passionate about and which bring me happiness (but sometimes a little frustration). However, my mother is very passionate about how others perceive her and doing things that impress others - but it never brings her happiness.

Did I dig too deep? ;)

P.S. I do check out your blog pretty regularly to see how you guys are doing...even if I don't always comment. But, I know the feeling - when no one comments, you begin to think no one is reading! ;)

Erin said...

I would say I agree with Naples Avon Lady. It all depends on what you are passionate about and IF what you are passionate about is honoring to the Lord or helps to grow your spiritual walk. Great question to ponder :) Got me thinking - something I have gotten out of the habit of doing! HA HA! Enjoy your last few days with daddy home!

Anonymous said...

I actually think that A PARTICULAR LEVEL of happiness comes from passion and if you are not a passionate person your definition might be different of the word happiness... we all prob have differ versions anyway but...It makes you wonder how happiness is ever actually measured. Is happiness something like the absence of unhappiness? Unhappiness is easy to recognise and comes in many forms: guilt, remose, frustration, anger. But if happiness is based on the absence of something then how is that absence measured (like, “Wow, your really not unhappy at the moment aren’t you?") The minute we start reflecting on happiness we are likely to become less happy. But how else can happiness be recorded except through reflection?

I also think that it is the sad moments that cause you to reflect therefore when we arent reflecting we are HAPPY and when we are reflecting we have hit some sort of bump that is not so positive! Did i confuse anyone yet??
XOXO
Jaime

Anonymous said...

that's a hard one, Jen...
In my opinion, happiness doesn't just come from the things that you're passionate about. That in itself seems a little "one-sided". Sometimes those things can be (and/or can become)unfulfilling...making someone very unhappy. Make any sense?
Hmmmm....got me thinking.
Talk soon, Jen