Saturday, August 16, 2008

"If they behave when they are away from you...

... then you are doing something right."

I have heard this saying a lot lately, and I want to believe it is true, but I am not so sure.

Today was exceptionally challenging for me and my little Drewster. I had to go to JoAnn (okay, had to may be a slight exaggeration), but I really did HAVE to go to WalMart. At JoAnn, he was an angel. Once we got to WalMart, oh my- I became one of the mothers that everyone looks at and gives the "why don't you take that child home" look. Drew did not want to sit in the cart where he is supposed to ride, would not sit in the basket part (sometimes that works), would not let me hold him (not that I could have done that for very long anyway), and would not walk and hold my hand.

He didn't want water, he didn't want snacks, he didn't want to hold the grocery items like he normally does, he didn't want his toys I brought to keep him occupied....

Everyone always tells me how well behaved and obedient Andrew is when they are with him... and I believe it, because we work hard at rewarding good behavior and applying consequences to wrong choices/behavior. Most of the time, he is my sweet little angel... but, wow, today blind-sided me. Screaming, throwing the head back, oh my- he has me spoiled. I am not used to this- I am praying that A) this is short-lived (probably isn't) B) that God helps me to be patient, loving, discerning and assertive all at the same time and C) that we don't have to endure a shopping trip like that again!

However, on a lighter note, Drew made it a point to tell me tonight that he went to "church" and also reminded me where Jesus lives: in the "ky".

2 comments:

Kara said...

Don't you just LOVE those moments when your child makes you long for the ability to turn invisible because of his behavior? It happens to us all! The looks from fellow moms were ones of sympothy, I'm sure (even though they didn't feel that way at the time) and the criticizing looks could only come from those who either have no children, have a child who hasn't yet reached the toddler stage, or those whose children are grown and they have somehow blocked out the time when their own child's behavior made them the center of attention in a store! You are GREAT parents! :) Welcome to the tempermental world of parenting a toddler! Ha! Ha!

The Patterson Family said...

There's no way that our sweet, precious and most certainly innocent little godson would behave in such a way! I just can't believe it! However, at the risk of calling you a liar I'll just say..."kiss my little angel boy for Auntie Jen". I hope to see him soon. We have power again! We Love You all!

P.S. I think you are one of the best moms! I am so glad to be on this journey with you!