Sunday, August 10, 2008

Two New Firsts

As first time parents, we tend to get pretty excited about anything new that Drew discovers. The real reason we are so happy for him is because he knows when he has had a new experience or made a new discovery, and he gets very excited about these things.

Today, Andrew drank his 'milk' out of a real cup, with no lid and no handles, several times throughout the day. He also learned how to climb on his stepstool in the bathroom and wash his hands in the bathroom sink!

I know, I know: all you 'been there, done that' parents are thinking... "duh, ho hum"... "and why is your child just now doing this?" Well, remember we are new at this, and sometimes we forget to teach something as soon as Drew is old enough. Sometimes things, such as these, sneak up on us, and we say, "Oh, now, why didn't we think to do that a little sooner?"

One other thing: when Dave was getting more milk for Drew this afternoon, Drew saw the carton and MOO-ed, really loud, while I was holding him (this is funny to begin with because Drew doesn't drink regular milk- it's rice milk). I looked at him, a little taken aback, and said, "well, where did that come from?" Drew then proceeded to respond, "COW!" How silly of me, to ask where a MOO comes from- shouldn't I already know that?

3 comments:

Reedell Family said...

Moo! That's hysterical! Yes, I can relate to what you're saying about new "firsts" it is amazing to see them grow and learn!

Kara said...

Isn't it just amazing how their little minds work! I'm still caught off-guard by the things that Christopher says! No "ho-hum" here...I'm thrilled for you guys! The great thing about a first born is you get to discover all those little "firsts" together - they are just as much your "firsts" as they are Drew's! :)

Congrats!
Kara

Teri said...

I totally know what you mean about them growing so fast and not realizing when they could've been doing a big-boy skill way before you realized it. We've had several of those and it's mind-blowing how quickly they change.
I'd love to hear more about your FLY-Lady habits. How's it going?