I was tucking Drew into bed tonight and I was telling him how much I loved him. Then, after a short pause in our conversation, he started to cry. I said, "Andrew - what's the matter? Why are you crying?" He mumbled something through his crying, which was hard to understand, because he was crying as he said it. I said, "Andrew - Mommy is right here. Why are you crying?" He said, "Because I love you."
Me: "You're crying because you love me?"
Drew: "Yes. Waaa, aaa, aaa. "
Me: "Oh, Drew - you have such a tender heart."
Drew: "I have a what?"
Me: "A tender heart."
(Pause)
Me: "Do you know you gave you that tender heart?"(Now this is where I was going to explain to Drew that Jesus is the one who gave him that tender heart because Jesus created him.) But before I got that far...
Drew: "You, Mommy."
Wow - I didn't see that coming. A mile away - not even in sight. I then went on to explain how Jesus was, in fact, the one who gave Drew his tender heart. But I was humbled that my three-year-old can see past all my yuckiness to think that his tender heart came from me. He taught me a lesson in love tonight. Because my children and my husband know that no matter how hard I try, I am human and, therefore, my heart is not always as tender as it should be.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Oh, wow Jennifer! What a beautiful conversation.
Post a Comment