Yes, I'm adding another thing to the list, by choice. Am I crazy?
Most of you have probably seen Julie & Julia. Well, I knew nothing about Julie and her blog until I saw that movie. Ever since then (certainly I'm not the first to think this), I thought it would be fun to pick a lesser-used cookbook of mine to cook all the way through.
Most of you have probably seen Julie & Julia. Well, I knew nothing about Julie and her blog until I saw that movie. Ever since then (certainly I'm not the first to think this), I thought it would be fun to pick a lesser-used cookbook of mine to cook all the way through.
I've picked three books out of my collection that, for various reasons, I have not used much, yet. I will present each of them below, and then it is up to you to leave your comment, voting for which you think I should journey through.
A few important notes to consider:
- Regardless of book choice, it is going to take a while to 'cook through' it. I doubt I will be able to do one recipe per day, and also, I'm sure some of the ingredients will get a little pricey, so I'll have to spread out the recipes.
- Some recipes will be easy for me to adapt based on my son's food allergies; others will not. Whenever possible, I will make adaptations to recipes, and note them accordingly.
- Some recipes will completely gross me out; while the idea is to get out of my comfort zone, if Dave is not available to help with some particular gross-ness, we may have to 'table' a few recipes (I will try to keep that to a minimum though). I know which cookbook will involve most of this, but I will refrain from swaying your decision, as I will enjoy cooking from any of these three.
Vegetarian food has come a long way since the days when it was regarded as the province of faddists. Now it is fresh, modern and young - an exciting and sophisticated cuisine enjoyed by an increasing number of people who appreciate fine food. This book contains a wealth of superb vegetarian recipes, from snacks to substantial meals, desserts to drinks. Drawing on flavors from around the world and using fine, fresh produce, vegetarian food will never again seem second best.
Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader
Millions of Mitford fans will agree - it's easy to put on a pound of two reading a Mitford novel. In scene after scene, you find colorful characters enjoying ravishing dishes like Puny's golden-crusted cornbread and Father Tim's baked ham with bourbon glaze. And before you know it, you've read several pages by the glow of the refrigerator light bulb.
Now, when you read about a dish that starts a craving, you can go to the kitchen and create it yourself. Gathered here are recipes for 150 dishes that anyone would be thrilled to put on the table.
Memories of a Cuban Kitchen
"The best foreign cookbook honors go to Memories of a Cuban Kitchen. The book rings wonderfully true, both in its recipes and its evocations of pre-Castro Havana as recalled by author Mary Urrutia randelman with heartfelt affection. This beautiful book is a memory piece as much as a cookbook." --The Washington Times
"Memories of a Cuban Kitchen will be and added treasure in any cook's library and a must in the kitchen of any American of Cuban Heritage or anyone who's interested in exploring Cuban cooking more fully at home." --The Miami Herald
DON'T FORGET to leave your comments and vote on your choice!



3 comments:
I'm probably way out of the loop on this one, but I don't know know what...or who... Mitford is. But...the couple of examples used in the description sound yummy to me...so, that would be my first pick.
My second is the vegetarian book. I don't think I have every cooked a meatless meal (I don't think I'm allowed!!!hahaha), but I've always wanted to know how you can cook a satisfying, delicious meal without meat. So, that would be interesting to "read" with you:-)
By the way, I haven't seen Julie/Julia yet. I need to though!
And, I love this idea! I've been trying to make one new dish a week, at least. It's helped to liven up my kitchen a bit. Good luck!
I think you should try the vegetarian one. We have saved so much money by cooking without meat most nights, but we're not always sure what to do, you know? I bet you would acquire so much knowledge and new ideas for adapting any recipes in the future by following some of their ideas. And in the long run, maybe save some money.
The Mitford one sounds amazing, too, but I think some of their recipes would be more difficult, too heavy or too fattening! LOL Hey, you might as well get some healthy ideas you know?
Cuban cooking is great, but I don't know if I'd want to choose any ethnic cookbook to go through--I get tired of things too easily.
So my vote is vegetarian! Please share any yummy recipes you come across.
I just watched Julie and Julia last night. Jeremy was out of town, so it was my opportunity:-) Cute movie. Now I want to cook through a cookbok too. I'm thinking my "Hershey's" cookbook would be a good choice:)
Post a Comment