I chuckled to myself, and grinned uncontrollably. Hah - he thought he didn't need any rest. Then I got to thinking - just like when I tell God that "I've got this. Thanks, but I'm not tired. I'm... not... w e a r y. " Sure. Okay. But then, before we know it, we've burned out. We crash. Our body demands rest to the point where we have no choice. We succumb to that which our frame requires. I do it. I hear God telling me that now is not the time. You need not do this right now. You can't do everything. No, but I can sure try. I'm telling you to rest, be still. How can I be still? Look at all that needs my attention. REST, NOW. Who needs rest? Only the weak, and I am not weak. Oh, my child. Even I needed rest. The 7th Day. Remember?
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Even SuperHeroes Need Rest
Oh, sometime in the last ten days, Drew insisted it was not a day to wear normal clothes. Instead, only Superman garb would do. So, on the costume went and my energetic son set off to save the world. He was fighting off dragons, keeping me safe from intruders and protecting his little brother from harm. He was building massive structures and leaping over them. He didn't need food or water either. Each of my offers for nourishment were met with this response: "Superman is SO strong he doesn't need food, OR water, or guess what, Mommy? Superman doesn't need a NAP either!" Well, you all know that a nap is required for the Drewster, and I told him that he needed to start quieting down, because before too long, I would put him to bed for naptime. Well, shortly thereafter, the phone rang, and I was occupied for about three minutes before I realized "Hmmm, it's gotten awfully quiet around here." I walked into our bedroom and peeked around the corner to see this, complete with some pretty intense snoring.

I chuckled to myself, and grinned uncontrollably. Hah - he thought he didn't need any rest. Then I got to thinking - just like when I tell God that "I've got this. Thanks, but I'm not tired. I'm... not... w e a r y. " Sure. Okay. But then, before we know it, we've burned out. We crash. Our body demands rest to the point where we have no choice. We succumb to that which our frame requires. I do it. I hear God telling me that now is not the time. You need not do this right now. You can't do everything. No, but I can sure try. I'm telling you to rest, be still. How can I be still? Look at all that needs my attention. REST, NOW. Who needs rest? Only the weak, and I am not weak. Oh, my child. Even I needed rest. The 7th Day. Remember?
I chuckled to myself, and grinned uncontrollably. Hah - he thought he didn't need any rest. Then I got to thinking - just like when I tell God that "I've got this. Thanks, but I'm not tired. I'm... not... w e a r y. " Sure. Okay. But then, before we know it, we've burned out. We crash. Our body demands rest to the point where we have no choice. We succumb to that which our frame requires. I do it. I hear God telling me that now is not the time. You need not do this right now. You can't do everything. No, but I can sure try. I'm telling you to rest, be still. How can I be still? Look at all that needs my attention. REST, NOW. Who needs rest? Only the weak, and I am not weak. Oh, my child. Even I needed rest. The 7th Day. Remember?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
LOVE this! For your words and the story.
Post a Comment