I am VERY HAPPY to report, that for reasons I am completely unaware of, I have been able to get Andrew to sleep (yes, you read that correctly) like a normal child the past few days.
I don't know what it is about the situation that promotes his sleeping, but desperate for help, I put him to sleep in his Pack N Play (haven't used that in a LONG time) the other day in the middle of the living room. He was refusing to nap in his room, and after overcoming his cold, was DOG-tired, and NEEDED to nap! Wouldn't you know he slept for an hour and a half?! Many of you may be thinking- why is this news? BECAUSE MY SON DOESN'T TAKE NAPS LONGER THAN 20 MINUTES!!!!
SOOO, after struggling some that evening with his sleep, I put him in the Pack N Play in our room to sleep. HE SLEPT UNTIL 9:15 AM! Folks, this is unheard of in our house- I thought something was wrong with him (you'd think I was talking about a two month old, not a two year old). BUT HE WAS TIRED, and he slept as long as he needed to.
The past few days we have been doing the same thing based on the current success of this 'method,' while interjecting a few attempts to get him to sleep in his crib. Right now, naps are in the Pack N Play, and bedtime sometimes happens in his room or ours. Now, I can just hear some of you thinking next, "you better watch out for this habit you are starting..." Guess what? We don't care if it is a habit- because Drew starts his day so much better, he responds better to discipline, he is rested, he is happier and he is not as cranky. We feel that once he is accustomed to getting the sleep he needs, we will be able to transition back to his room for sleeping. In the meantime, I am celebrating.
By the way, I'm sure now that I've blabbed about this success, my efforts will be doomed and we will be back to the same old routine. Please pray this is not the case!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
YEA!!! I'm so happy you've found something that works. I think too many people get too hung up on the "where the children sleep" thing - probably a result of SuperNanny! :) You have to do what is right for you & your child. The very reason God did not create a user manual for babies is because each one is different! If sleeping in the Pak-n-Play in your room is what helps him feel secure enough to get the rest he needs, so be it. If you have to address sleeping arrangements down the road...well, I guess you'll just have to cross that bridge when you get to it! :)
Very well said, Kara. I agree!
Honey, you know what I think...Hallelujah for you! And Drew! I am glad that he can get the rest that he so desperately wants, and needs!
Sooo...you are going to have to think of another support group to start! I pray that the "Mommies of toddlers who don't sleep" is a thing of the past...
Congratulations!
Are you feeling kinda normal yet?
Post a Comment