Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spinach and Lentil Soup

For some reason I was brave enough to serve this as our main course tonight - that means no meat was provided along with it. I was quite certain Dave was not going to be too thrilled, but in the interest of cutting costs and not preparing superfluous items, I took the risk. Well, much to my surprise, he was not disappointed in our dinner selection for the evening.

When prepared exactly as instructed, I initially thought it tasted like cooked lentils in hot water (read: absent of any cohesive flavor). However, I added *salt* and a few (I think 1.5 tsp) more scoops of vegetable broth granules to kick it up. Those two additions, along with the cilantro at the end, succeeded in bringing the flavor. Thumbs up from Dave and me - thumbs down for Drew.

2 cups brown lentils
5 cups water
2 tsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
20 English spinach leaves, stalks removed and leaves finely shredded
(I just bought a bag of fresh spinach leaves)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. finely grated lemon rind
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 tsp. finely chopped cilantro

Place the lentils in a large pan with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Rinse and drain, then set aside. In a separate pan heat the oil; add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add spinach and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the lentils, cumin, lemon rind, stock and water to the pan. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the cilantro and stir through. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Michele said...

I am enjoying reading your veggie dinner posts. You inspired me....Tuesday night, I cooked our first ever "meatless" dinner. We had pinto beans and cornbread (Ok, I used a few slices of turkey bacon to flavor the beans....but we didn't eat the bacon, so does that count as meatless?) It was pretty good. Next, I'm going to look back through your blog and find a recipe on here to try:-) Thanks Jennifer for making me stretch myself and try something totally new!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pinto beans! I could eat them all the time! One of my favorite meals to serve when the month is longer than the grocery budget is pinto beans with cornbread - so you know I think that was a great meal. I'm glad you are enjoying these - I am having fun with it, too!

Michele said...

Well....you will be horrified to hear, I'm sure, that Tuesday was the first time I ever ate pinto beans. No, I take that back. I had that meal at Teri's about a month ago and enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would.

btw...I found a yummy cornbread recipe that is "low fat" as far as cornbread is concerned. It does have milk in it though, can Drew have milk if it's cooked in the product?

I don't know how to make a link in the comments section, but here is the URL.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Homemade-Cornbread-55952
It turned out really good. Not as crispy as my southern mother in law makes it...but still WAY better than Jiffy mix (which I usually use:-)