So most of you know I am a Florida Cracker, and so is my husband, Dave. We were both born and raised in Florida, and have lived in Florida our whole lives thus far. David's side of the family is Cuban, so not many 'cracker' recipes going on there. But, I love cracker-style food. So it should be no surprise that one of my favorite no-fuss, easy, cheap dinners to make is Pinto Beans with Hoecakes. I made these last night because we were outside late, and time was getting away from me. I forgot to take pictures for you, but here are the recipes, the way I made them.
Hoecakes
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal (I used white)
2 egg yolks (Drew is allergic to the whites)
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup rice milk (you can use reg. milk if you want- allergy issue here, too) with a couple drops of lemon juice mixed in
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup bacon grease
Vegetable oil for frying
Mix all ingredients except frying oil. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot skillet. Use approx. 2 tbsp batter per hoecake. Brown until crisp; turn and brown on other side. Drain on paper towels. Makes about 16 hoecakes.
Pinto Beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 diced red onion
3/4 cup collard greens and liquid (I had these leftover from New Year's Day)
Cook all ingredients in saucepan until thoroughly heated.
The hoecakes are good to soak up the good pot liquor from the beans/collard greens. You can also dip them in syrup. Yummy! I also served sliced peaches to round out our meal. I know, I'm a simpleton, but this meal was so good, especially last night.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Woo hoo!! We just had pinto beans and cornbread a few days ago and I just picked up the ingredients for more tonight at Publix. I had a coupon for the cornbread, but hate the fact that it's got a bunch of stuff that's hydrogenated and ingredients I can't pronounce, so I was thinking on the way home that I'd like to try some home-made. I'll definitely be trying your recipe soon!
PS - I just started saving bacon grease too...afterall, I am a hillbilly's wife.
Post a Comment