Saturday, September 13, 2008

Reflections on My Twenties

It's late, and I'm sure I will probably edit this over the next few days...but I want to put a few things out there so I don't forget my thoughts.

As I look back over the last decade of my life, I can easily say that, thus far, it has been the most life-altering decade of my young life.

Let's start with my 20th year: I moved back to Fort Myers after spending 2.5 years at school in West Palm Beach. I finished my degree at FGCU, and found my new independence at school to be invigorating. I had outgrown the dorm lifestyle, and enjoyed being in a more 'commuter-friendly' campus. I made many new friends in West Palm, and ended up making some very unlikely but great friends at FGCU. I spent a lot of time working, studying, paying bills, and fishing (yes, you read that correctly).

Somewhere around my 21st year: I was 'God-smacked' and with His direction, made some very important decisions that changed the course of my life for the better, and I believe, more in line with the life He desired for me. I also graduated with my degree, thus reaching one of my many personal goals.

22nd year: The man of my dreams proposed and we started planning for marriage.

23rd year: My parents gave us the wedding of our dreams, and we took the vacation of a lifetime!

24th to 26th year: Worked hard together to learn what it meant to be married, and worked hard together to support each other in our respective roles at the time: Dave was a full-time student and worked multiple part-time jobs, and I worked full-time. We learned a lot about ourselves, and with David's help and encouragement, I learned more about my position as a child of the King. My sweet husband graduated with his degree, and we settled into being two-full-time working spouses with 'normal' jobs and 'normal' hours.

27th year: The Lord blessed us with the most exciting news ever- I was pregnant! We were so scared of being let down by the results from our store-bought test, we didn't dwell on it or talk about it, even between the two of us, until the doctor confirmed the results at her office. We will never forget telling our loved ones the news of expecting our first child. Andrew was born on July 31st!

Okay, so I'm going to skip over all the glazed-over eye stories, the feeling like a heifer stories, the I've had no sleep don't talk to me stories, the I'm sorry honey stories and all the other crazy things that happen when you bring your first child home. Everything that made sense before no longer makes sense, and in a very good way, your life as you knew it is turned on its head. Suffice it to say that yes, our world changed dramatically, and not without it's periods of adjustment for all of us, but the result is out of this world, by God's ever-present grace!

28th-29th years: Well, I am still learning about being a mom, a wife and a child of God... but I have been granted much wisdom, imparted by God himself, through the experiences He has blessed me to have. I would not have made it to the eve of my 30th year without the Lord (His patience, His forgiveness, His love, His plan, His redemption), my kind and loving hsuband, my sweet baby boy, my supportive family (of origin and in-loves), and best friends (you know who you are).

I believe in God's divine hand, and His intervention, and His still, small voice that guides me: for without it, my life would have taken a different road, and it would look nothing like it is today. Thank you, Jesus, for helping me every step of the way... I pray that my next 30 years will point straight to you!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Happy Birthday! I wish I'd known this yesterday when I was talking to you at church! I hope you have the most blessed 30th birthday!!! :)