- Our family fun for today was to travel to Northwest Cape Coral (near Matlacha/Pine Island) to pay a visit to a fun SWFL tradition this time of year: Oktoberfest on the grounds at the German American Social Club.
- Mom here forgot the camera and realized it when it was too late to turn around, so y'all are going to have to use your imaginations for this post.
- We enjoyed the 90-or-so-minute ride, mostly because Drew was able to see some new exciting things out of his window simply because we were in parts we don't normally travel. I also enjoyed going through Fort Myers because that is where I grew up and spent the first 23 years of my life. Even I am amazed at the growth (yes, still!) that has taken place in areas of Lee County that I don't frequent anymore.
- We brought Andrew's little red push car for him to ride in (he still has is "special boot") so he wouldn't feel as if he had to walk the whole time. We entered the gate to the sounds of polka music (which is NEVER cool unless you are at Oktoberfest), lots of sweet ladies and gentleman from the older generation dressed in traditional German dress, or lederhosen and dirndl dresses, and the savory smell of German food that will make you crave it if you weren't already.
- We first played with bubbles (a favorite activity of Drew's) that were given to him by a some sweet women at the Urgent Care booth. We traveled to the edge of Bavarian Gardens to find the kiddo area, and Andrew played in a giant clown head (!) filled with balloons and beach balls blowing all around.
- We worked our way over to the Main Tent, where we heard both the Maselheimer and Alpen Diamanten bands. The drummer for one of these bands played drums with one hand and played the trumpet with the other! Dave quickly realized he is going to have to "up" his game. All of a sudden, many people got up from the their chairs, ran to the dance floor, and participated in the favorite Chicken Dance. Corny as it is, I don't care what anyone says- I LOVE THIS TUNE! Drew loved it, too, and was wiggling with the best of them, but from the safety of Dad's lap. Soon after, the Lee County Pipes & Drum marched in, playing bagpipes, but with a beat. It was very LOUD but surprisingly enjoyable (this coming from someone who is really not that into bagpipes- I can't imagine why).
- While the guys enjoyed the music and drumming, I fetched the food. We had a half-chicken dinner (which really was half a chicken!), including coleslaw, and german potato salad, a bratwurst with saurkraut (Drew's favorite- I didn't see that coming), and potato pancakes with applesauce (my personal favorite).
- We played some more, and found the Kiddie Train. Dave and Drew took a spin around the Gardens on the train, and of course, Drew loved every second of it. He is crazy about anything that is some mode of transportation: Trains, Planes, Cars, Buses, Fire Trucks, etc.
- After some more walking and sight-seeing, we headed back to the truck and rode out to Matlacha just to drive through it. One of my college jobs (delivery driver) used to take me out there every day, and I missed seeing it. We drove over the bridge I used to stop and fish off of, and then we turned around and headed back toward Naples.
- After getting home, we built a fire in our fire pit, enjoyed the cool breeze, and burned some papers we've been procrastinating on shredding (there is more than one way to get the job done sometimes). We had a great day, and I hope you all had a good weekend too.
- Please keep our brother-in-love, Gary, in your prayers this week as he is in Houston for heart surgery on Wednesday. My parents, Gary and Jaime are traveling through the night tonight to get there.



2 comments:
Hey girly - Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend.
I tagged ya on my blog. Check it out.
I have never been to that...but it sounds like a blast...are they still doing it, or was it just a one day thing?
Post a Comment